Med colleges soon for SC, ST students

Three medical colleges for Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe students are being planned by the state government. One college each will be set up in the state’s three regions, Andhra, Telang-ana and Rayalaseema. The funds required will be mobilised from the SC, ST sub-plan.

The Cabinet sub-committee on the implementation of the SC, ST sub-plan headed by Deputy Chief Minister Damodar Rajanarasimha is going to submit its report to the government by July-end recommending “statutory status” to the sub-plan to check diversion of sub-plan funds to other sectors. The government is planning to convene a special Assembly session in August to accord statutory status to the sub-plan.

“There will be 65 per cent quota for students from SC and ST categories in these colleges. The remaining 35 per cent seats will be offered to students from other categories. Of the total funds required, 65 per cent will be mobilised from SC, ST sub-plan and the remaining 35 per cent will be borne by the government,” said Mr Rajana-rasimha, who also holds the higher education portfolio.

He added that nearly Rs 300 crore was required to set up each college. “About Rs 20,000 crore would be available under the SC, ST sub-plan. It would not be difficult for the government to allot about Rs 900 crore for three colleges,” Mr Rajanarasimha said. Stating that the ratio of SC, ST doctors was significantly low in the state, he said the new colleges would increase educational opportunities for students from these categories.

“Districts with higher SC, ST population will be identified to set up these colleges. Since the government already runs big hospitals in districts, we will upgrade facilities in them and attach them to the new colleges to secure approval from the MCI. Our aim is to make them functional within two years,” said Mr Rajana-rasimha.



Posts a comment

© Indian Dalit Muslims' Voice
Back to top